Outrageous Herbaceous Chickpea Salad
Here’s a simple chickpea salad that I could eat every single day. It’s bursting with fresh Mediterranean flavors, thanks to chopped beli pepper,; parsley red onion and celery Lemon and garlic take it from tasty to transcendent. This salad packs well, so it’s perfect for potlucks and picnics. It’s also a great lunch option, so long as your serving is large enough.
2 (15-OUNCE) CANS CHICKPEAS. RINSED AND DRAINED (OR 3 CUPS COOKED)
1 MEDIUM RED BELL PEPPER. CHOPPED
1/2 CUPS CHOPPED FRESH FLAT-LEAF PARSLEY (ABOUT 1 BUNCH)
1/2 CUP CHOPPED RED ONİON (ABOUT ‘/г SMALL)
1/2 CUP CHOPPED CELERY (ABOUT 2 RIBS)
3 TABLESPOONS EXTRA-VIRGIN OUVE OIL
3 TABLESPOONS LEMON JUICE (FROM I-IV2 LEMONS) PLUS MORE IF NEEDED
2 GARLİC CLOVES, PRESSED OR MINCED Va TEASPOON FINE SEA SALT FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
- İn a medium bowl. toss ali the ıngredients until combıned. Taste and add additional lemon juice, salt or pepper, if necessary.
- Meanvvhile. on the remaining baking sheet, brush the olive oil lightly över both sides of each bread slice. Bake on the middle rack until golden on top. about 10-12 minutes.
- Once the toasts are cool enough to safely handle. top each with a smear of goat cheese. follovved by a spoonful of roasted stravvberries and their juices. Finish with a sprinkling of torn basil and black pepper. Crostini are best served immediately.
- Serve ımmedıately. or chill until you’re ready to serve. Leftovers keep well. chilled. for up to 4 days.
Roasted Strawberry/ Basil and Goat Cheese Crostini
Ifyou haven’t experienced roasted strawberries yet, you’ve been missirıg out—they’re sweet and jammy. like the inside of a strawberry pie. Roasted strawberries collide with tangy goat cheese and fresh basil to creafe this simple and sophisticated summertime appetizer. You could also serve these with a bıg green salad for a light summer meal. Ifyou don’t love goat cheese, alternatives include mascarpone, cream cheese or ricotta.
4-5 OUNCES GOAT CHEESE
1 POUND STRAWBERRIES. HULLED AND CUT INTO BITE-SIZE PIECES
2 TABLESPOONS HONEY
2 TABLESPOONS EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
1 VVHOLE-GRAIN BAGUETTE OR SMALL LOAF
CRUSTY VVHOLE-GRAIN BREAD (ABOUT 14 OUNCES). CUT INTO Va-INCH SLICES SMALL HANDFUL BASIL LEAVES. TORN INTO LITTLE PIECES
FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
- Preheat the öven to 350°F with racks in the middle and upper third of the öven. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper for easier cleanup. Set the goat cheese on the counter to soften up a bit.
- On one baking sheet. toss the stravvberries vvith the honey. then spread the stravvberries in a single layer. Bake on the upper rack until the fruit is tender, juicy and collapsing on itself. about 20-25 mınutes. tossing halfvvay. VVatch the fruit on the edges of the pan, as the honey can burn guickly.
Green Goddess Hummus
Most of the big-brand, store-bought hummuses skimp on tahini, which means that theyaren’t rich, thick or flavorful enough to do hummus properjustice. This homemade hummus has just the right amount of tahini, plus it’s free of preservatives. It’s ultra creamy thanks to the blendıng method (basically, you makesure the tahini is nice and fluffy before adding the chickpeas). Serve with pita wedges, crackers or veggies.
1/4 CUP TAHİNİ
¼ CUP LEMON JUICE (FROM 1 Уг-2 LEMONS)
2 TABLESPOONS EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL. PLUS MORE FOR SERVING
1 GARLIC CLOVE. ROUGHLY CHOPPED Va TEASPOON FINE SEA SALT
½ CUP LIGHTLY PACKED FLAT-LEAF PARSLEY (SOME STEMS AREOKAY)
¼ CUP LIGHTLY PACKED TARRAGON LEAVES. BASIL OR CILANTRO. PLUS MORE FOR GARNISH
2 TABLESPOONS ROUGHLY CHOPPED CHIVES OR GREEN ONIONS
1 (15-OUNCE) CAN CHİCKPEAS. RINSED AND DRAINED (OR IV2CUPS COOKED)
- İn a food processor or high-powered blender, combine the tahini, lemon juice. olive oil. garlic and salt. Process for about IV2 minutes. pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary, until well blended.
- Add the herbs and process for about 1 minute. pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary. until the herbs have blended into the mixture and the mixture is smooth.
- Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl. then add the remaining chickpeas and process until the hummus ıs thick and smooth. about 1-2 minutes more.
- If your hummus is too thıck or hasn’t yet blended into creamy oblivion. run the food processor while drizzling in 1-2 tablespoons vvater, until it reaches your desired consistency. Season wıth additional salt, if necessary.
- Scrape the hummus ınto a small serving bowl. Lightly drizzle olive oil över the top and sprinkle vvith some chopped herbs. Leftover hummus keeps well, chilled. for 4-6 days.